Search This Blog

Monday, August 15, 2011

Pleased to meet you!

Hello, dear hypothetical readers, and welcome to "Raising Isabella: Natural Homemaking in an Unnatural World!"  I have decided to write a blog, not because of my outstanding writing capabilities, but because I am excited to share about my journey into living a more natural lifestyle. I've gotten into countless conversations in which I say something, and then realize that I've got a whole lot of explaining to do. For example:

                 Me: "I really need to feed my kefir, it's been almost 2 days.

                 My friend: "Who is Kefir? Your cat?"

(Note: this is a hypothetical situation, no one has actually thought I had a cat named Kefir. Although, that wouldn't be a bad name. Isn't there an actor or something with that name?)

See? How many of you know what kefir is? Anyone? As we speak, blogger is trying to correct my spelling on the word kefir, because kefir is apparently not in the blogger dictionary. Well, that's what I'm here for! Of course, you could just Google it, but someone's got to tell you that kefir exists before you can do a search on it, right?

Well, I have lots of fun information to share about things I find exciting, like watching bread rise. Yes, please don't get too excited, but I think a series on sourdough is in the works. You can also bet that you'll be hearing about cloth diapering and lots of homemade household cleaners, cosmetics, and foods.

This week, I'll be sharing my story of how our family came to be so stinkin' environmentally friendly.

Any topics you (still hypothetical) guys would like me to discuss? I'm up for some challenges here! I also take words of encouragement if you'd like to hear more from me!


11 comments:

  1. yay for a series on sourdough!! i think that should be next week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. great start sarah!may God bless your efforts!praying for great success!randy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am excited to here about upcoming blogs. Never-to-old-to-learn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am excited to add your blog to my list I follow. I may not have kids yet, but I hope to be as prepared as possible for when that time comes. I would love to read your views on cloth diapers. If you have a system for storage and cleaning and how you travel while using them. Also, any tips on cleaning. I am a clean freak! I want my house spotless without the chemical smell. If everything smelled like lemons, I would be oh so happy.
    Good Luck!
    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great idea! I can't wait to watch it develope. When I posted it asked for a "URL". What is that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm, not sure. Maybe one of the other poster's knows?

    Thanks, guys for all the positive feedback! Nice to know someone's out there reading! :)

    Sourdough, Homemade cleaners and skin care, and cloth diapering are all coming up in the next few weeks! Thanks for the requests!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know what kefir is!!!! I feel special!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Sarah! I am struggling trying to find a good natural face wash. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've had the same struggle! I haven't found anything at the store that is both natural and works on my stubborn skin! Right now, I am ordering a mostly natural product from a company called Melaleuca, and I really like it. Sometimes, I just gently scrub with baking soday and follow it with the vinegar/water mixture I use for no 'poo on my hair. (1/8 vinegar with the other 7/8 water. I don't measuere, I estimate.) This works well, but I'm afraid to use it long term because the baking soda is so abrasive. I have yet to find a powder or foundation that doesn't break my skin out, let me know if you find one of those!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been trying the oil cleansing method for 4 days now. It makes me nervous but everything I try breaks my skin out so I figured it was worth trying. I am also trying to use only a little powder because I think that is the real problem. Where do you order the Melaleuca stuff from and what is it called? I need something that is easier to take when traveling.
    Thanks
    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  11. I tried the oil cleansing method, but I felt like my face was always shiny. Let me know if you find a way to make it work. You can go to www.melaleuca.com to look at the products they have, I use the "Zap-it" pack. It works great. You would sign up to order the products under me, and then you would just make your order online each month, then have the products shipped directly to you. The only thing is, you have to order a certain amount each month, and it adds up to anywhere between 60-80 dollars a month. They have a lot of great products, all eco-friendly and natural. Also, it is things that you probably already use. I signed up and order for me and a few friends each month. Check out the web-site and see if it's something you'd be interested in. If you could find some people to order with you each month, it might be a good idea. It's also an opportunity to start a home business, if you're interested. I'm making my order on Monday, I could order some and ship it to you to try just this once, if you'll let me know what you want. It might take a while for the shipping, though, because of the holiday season.

    ReplyDelete