Search This Blog

Monday, January 16, 2012

Make-ahead Monday #3

Welcome to a new week, everyone! Thanks for sharing your recipes last week. I tried out one of them over the weekend, and it's definitely on its way to becoming a family favorite!

My family came to visit over the weekend, so I did make-ahead monday a little differently. I made extra large batches of things, and simply froze the leftovers, which ended up being enough for one or two meals for Hubby, Izzy and me. I didn't really plan it that way, but you know how it is when you have company, you never want to run out and you end up making too much.

Works great for freezer cooking!

Here's what's new in my freezer this week:

1 whole batch of baked oatmeal (recipe is coming soon!)
A few smoothies (frozen in ice cube trays)
a big container of beef veggie stew

I also made a great, super easy roast, but didn't have enough left over to freeze. Maybe next week I'll do it again. We have tons of beef in our deep freezer, as we recently bought a whole half of a cow from one of our local farmers. We are excited to have such great quality meat, that doesn't contain any added hormones or antibiotics, and we saved a lot of money. I also feel good knowing where this cow came from and that it was treated ethically. I know we have an odd sense of humor, but we call the cow as "Collin", in reference to an episode of the show "Portlandia". Don't know if you've heard of it.

Anyways, I had great time visiting my family, and I've got some fun posts coming up from our activities over the week. Can't wait to share! I learned to make cheese!

The link-up


Please share some posts from your blog of favorite meals and dishes that can be prepared ahead of time!  I'm stocking my freezer for the arrival of our new baby, and could use all the ideas I can get!

Posting etiquette: If you do link-up, please leave a comment in the comments sections and link back to this page from your original blog post.

If you do not have a blog post to share, please share your favorite recipes or links in the comments section!

Have a great week and happy MLK day!

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the invite..these make a great freezer treat loaded with good calories and no junk...I I've got lots of those recipes on my blog...I stock my freezer at the beginning of every week to fill my kiddos lunchboxes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah, thank you for visiting my blog and letting me know about Make-ahead Monday. I'm happy to have found your blog now too. Congrats on your baby, how exciting. Thanks so much for hosting! I shared a Baked Chili Meatballs recipe. They are so easy to make and bake quickly. Thanks again.

    http://recipestonourish.blogspot.com/2012/01/baked-chili-meatballs.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the invite. I linked up homemade tortillas and tamales. They both freeze well to make ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by my blog and letting me know about your blog hop! This week I prepared this great soup. I used veggies I had on hand, but you could literally use anything. The bones will give me several more batches of broth that I can put up for using in recipes and as a "soup starter." Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the invite to join in on your freezer cooking link-up. That's a great idea as I find freezer cooking for helpful! I look forward to seeing your baked oatmeal since I just linked up one myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. New Follower from Raising Dieter! I look forward to it! Shay

    http://raisingdieter.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for hosting and inviting me to link up!! I like your blog!!


    http://www.painfreepregnancy.org/2012/01/three-bean-chili-and-chips.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. These recipes all look great! I'm going to choose a few to make this monday and feature on my blog! Now to decide which ones....

    ReplyDelete