Search This Blog

Monday, February 20, 2012

Make-ahead Monday #8

Welcome to another week and another week of recipes! I did just like I said I would last week, and did as little cooking as possible. I think I cooked maybe twice, and the rest of the week we reaped the benefits of all my freezer cooking. Can you believe we didn't have to resort to cooking out at all? I'm feeling rested up and ready to get cooking again!

Here's my recipe for this week:

Soaked Whole Wheat Sourdough Crackers

This is a great make-ahead snack that uses up leftover sourdough starter. Just mix up the dough, freeze in ziplock bags, then you can pull out the dough and have some tasty crackers in about 15 minutes!

Here's what you need:
1 cup of sourdough starter
1 cup of whole wheat flour
1/2 cup of olive oil (any oil would work really, I've used coconut oil before)

Here's what you do:
Mix your three ingredients well. You may need to add more flour. You want a stiff dough that doesn't stick to your hands. It will be pretty oily.

Divide dough in half and freeze dough in sandwich sized ziploc bags, like so:












When you are ready to make crackers, pull your dough out of the freezer to thaw. The dough will soak, helping break down the phytates, as it thaws. You can wait as long as you want to bake your crackers. The longer you wait, the more "sourdough-y" they will taste. I've been pulling them out after lunch and baking them for a betime snack for Izzy and I.

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.

Flatten the dough onto a baking sheet, think about the thickness of a Wheat Thin cracker. You can roll it out, but I have better luck just "smooshing" it flat with my hands. Sprinkle with coarse salt, and slice into squares with a pizza cutter. You can skip that last step and just break them up after they bake if you like. I like the look it lends.

It should look something like this. One batch makes two of these -

Bake at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes. It will probably take a few tries before you figure out what time works best to get a crispy, yet not burned cracker. Fortunately, they taste good anywhere between raw and blackened, so your "test batches" won't go to waste.

Yummy! I think that I'd like to experiment with different herbs and spices to get different flavors. What do you think would be good on top of these crackers?

*Note: these crackers are really, really good the day they are made, but they start to go chewy by the next day, so I don't make a ton at once. Any tips on getting them to stay crunchy?


What recipes do you have to share this week?

The link-up 

Please share some posts from your blog of favorite meals and dishes that can be prepared ahead of time! I'm stocking my freezer for the arrival of our new baby, and could use all the ideas I can get!

 Posting etiquette: If you do link-up, please leave a comment in the comments sections and link back to this page from your original blog post. If you do not have a blog post to share, please share your favorite recipes or links in the comments section!

Don't forget to sign up for email updates, like Raising Isabella on Facebook, or sign up for my RSS feed so you can receive my updates and be reminded to come post each week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment