Search This Blog

Friday, June 15, 2012

Cloth wipes solution - the easy way.

So, I've shared with you how I cloth diaper, and some of the things I've learned along the way. Today, I want to share with you my super easy method for keeping a stash of cloth wipes handy.

Cloth wipes, you say? Gross, you say? I'm taking things a little too far, you say?

I though that, too, when I was first starting out, but I quickly realized how inconvenient disposable wipes can be when you're cloth diapering. Think about it, where do your wipes go when you change a disposable diaper? You wrap them up into the diaper and throw the whole thing away, right? Well, if you're cloth diapering, your diaper goes into your diaper pail, and you're left trying to manage a pile of stinky wipes.

Enter cloth wipes. You pile them up on the diaper, and throw them in the pail when you're done. You may have to spray (or I usually just shake off) the first wipe used, but most of the poop is on the diaper, so it's no problem.

So, I'm not a very meticulous measurer, so consider this more as your guidelines for where to start when making your own cloth wipes at your house. It's really pretty easy. The key is to make sure you always have some mixed up, because the last thing you want to do is get your kid on the changing table, take his/her diaper off to find a "surprise" diaper and have no wipes to clean it up with.

Trust me, I've been there.




Cloth wipes recipe guidelines

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons liquid soap
1 cup water

Mix well in an empty wipes container, add wipes

Makes enough liquid for 24 wipes

I just use whatever liquid soap I am currently using to wash my babies with. Shown in the picture is Dr. Bronner's liquid soap because I found it for a good price at an outlet store, but anything baby's skin is not sensitive to will work.

Also, I'm sure any oil will work that is liquid at room temperature. (not coconut oil, unless you house stays really warm and you use warm water to mix it.)

You can see in the picture above that I've put a line on my wipes container, so I know about how much water to add. I eyeball the soap and oil, so sometimes it's not quite enough and sometimes it's a little too much. We survive.

I also don't even count the wipes, I just grab a stack and drop it in. I do turn the container upside down for a while so the solution can distribute through all of the wipes.

So, there you have it, an super easy way to do cloth wipes!

2 comments:

  1. I'm still doing some disposable diapers (about every third night) so it has worked to use disposable wipes. I anticipate that won't last much longer. Did you make your own wipes? What are they made of?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alli,I think it's great that you're transitioning to cloth!

    I bought half of my wipes, but when I started needing more, I just cut up some of Izzy's old flannel receiving blankets and hemmed the edges. They aren't pretty, but they work great and seem to be holding up just fine. We also ended up with a lot of baby washcloths, so I added some of those to the cloth wipe stash, and they also work great!

    The cloth wipes I bought are these: https://shop.zukababy.com/Punkin_Butt_Flannel_Wipes_24_Pack.html

    Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete