Search This Blog

Friday, February 1, 2013

Kale Chips!

I think I remember eating kale chips once before. I was at a restaurant and in junior high, maybe. I thought it was fried spinach and was proud that I had a leafy green vegetable that I liked. I don't know how it ended up on my plate, because I sure wouldn't have ordered it. My how times have changed... Maybe it was fried spinach, but after I made these kale chips they looked and tasted just like what I remembered.

They are not fried. Nor are they spinach. Although, I wonder if it would work with spinach or any other green, as kale is not that easy to find around here.

I was perusing Whole Foods last week and I decided to buy some kale. I don't know why. I guess it was mentioned on that special diet I was trying. The one where I didn't get to eat meat.

Oh yes, an update on that. I didn't last very long because, just as I suspected, I need lots more protein and calories than that diet provides. I did feel good for the first few days, and I do think it was a nice, light break from our usual heavy eating. After about 4 days, though, I started feeling constantly hungry and even a little weak. It would take an astronomical amount of food to keep me fed on a basically vegan diet. So, now I can say I tried. :) I did remember that I do actually like tofu and soymilk, though. It's too bad that I'm hearing so much negative about them lately...

Anyways, back to the kale. I used this recipe and followed it exactly.

It's not much of a recipe. You tear up some kale, make sure it's really dry so it can get crispy (I did this in a 200 degree oven for 5 minutes), rub it with oil and sprinkle it with salt. Then, bake it for 10-15 minutes at 350 degrees. When the edges start to get brown, it's done!

I do recommend tearing into smallish pieces, to help with even crunchiness. They really are the texture of a thin, crispy, chip. Very addicting, and Izzy even asked for more! (I always consider it a mommy win when Izzy likes a green veggie.)
Smallish pieces
Sorry it's blurry, but do you see the browned edges, indicating doneness?

So, there you have it. Now, if you'll excuse me, we have a Mardi Gras parade to get ready for.

Oh, maybe I should explain for some of you. :) It's a family parade. Mardi Gras parades happen all over the place in the weeks leading up to Fat Tuesday, many of them family friendly. I think the school behind our house did a mini parade this afternoon. I saw little floats going by. Cute.

Anyway, send me some warm wishes, it's cold out there!

What's your favorite atypical way to prepare a veggie?


No comments:

Post a Comment