Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

A superfast recap of "Seven" week 6 - waste

Last week was week 6 of our "Seven" study, and I will choose to be honest with you and admit that I didn't really do much to honor this week's challenge. I was in survival mode. Third trimester has hit me pretty hard and fast, and I haven't had a decent night's sleep in about a month. I did spend more time thinking about my family's impact on the environment and I am planning on doing a month long family focus on this as soon as I feel like we are up to "doing it right".
Seven-by-Jen-Hatmaker
Click here to read the entire "Seven" series.
We are looking into joining this CSA in the fall, so that's something to be proud of. A friend did all of the legwork to find it and go visit and everything, so I'm just taking advantage of her initiative.
I would like to share some thoughts and scripture that really inspire me to create a more earth friendly home and lifestyle.
God loves all of his creation
First of all, check out Job chapters 38-41 in the Bible if you want to know how much God loves his creation.
Here's another gem: "The earth is the Lord's, and everything in it, the world and all who live in it; for he founded it on the seas and established it on the waters." (Psalm 24:1-2)
We need the earth
It's easier for us to forget our dependance on the earth to sustain us because it feels like we depend on gas stations and grocery stores more than the land that produces our groceries. We don't have to see the negative impact we are having when it's all lined up on a shelf with a sticker on it. Convenient for us, but detrimental to future generations.
Our current way of life is not sustainable
"Together with China, America accounts for 40 percent of the earth's depletion." - "Seven" bible study p 115
"If our demands on the planet continue to increase at the same rate, by the mid-2030s we would need the equivalent of two planets to maintain our lifestyles,"  - World Wildlife Fund International Director- General James Leape
And one final, uplifting (note the sarcasm here) thought for you - "There are a limited number of resources in the world, and when we take more than we need, simply put, we are stealing from others." - Tracy Bianchi, author of Green Mama
So, yeah, I think we can add earth stewardship, known in Christian circles as Creation Care to the list of really important things that tend to get pushed waay too far down on our priority list, mostly because we don't have to look at the consequences. Here's a link to my earth day post of the things my family currently does to be good stewards, and the things we want to try harder at.
Is earth stewardship a priority in your home? What is one small goal you can set today to make a positive impact on our environment?

No comments:

Post a Comment