Search This Blog

Friday, January 27, 2012

Cooking through "Nourishing Traditions"

Back in December, I finished cooking through* my Rachael Ray Express Lane Meals: What to Keep on Hand, What to Buy Fresh for the Easiest-Ever 30-Minute Meals. It was a lot of fun, and I'm definitely a Rachel Ray fan now. Most of the recipes were not only quick, but healthy and delicious, too. I didn't realize how many meals could be made in such a short time. Some of them did take me longer than 30 minutes, though. I guess I'm a little slow...

Click here for Dennis' favorite meal from the whole cookbook.

*By "cooked through" I mean I cooked all of the recipes I thought looked good in the cookbook. I didn't do the "Julie and Julia" thing and cook every single recipe in there. Some stuff we just don't like at our house. (By the way, if you haven't seen that movie, Julie and Julia, you should. It's one of my personal favorites.)

Anyways, It's about time I started a new cookbook, and I'm attacking one that's a little more challenging this time. I've read through Nourishing Traditions cover to cover, and I love Sally Fallon's approach to healthy eating, that is, eating traditionally prepared foods in a state close to the way they came from the earth. The full title of the book is:

Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook that Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats



Sounds interesting, does it not? :) Ole Sally really does fly in the face of a lot of the diet advice we're receiving today. She actually encourages eating fatty foods like eggs, butter, and lard. Maybe that's why I like her so much?

If you're familiar with the Weston A. Price foundation, she's a big proponent of theirs.

She's also a big proponent of soaked grains, natural sweeteners, naturally fermented food and drink, and raw meat consumption.

Did I just lose you on the raw meat consumption? What about the chapter on organ meats - brains, liver, kidney...no? Well, you're not alone, I won't be cooking from those chapters. If you like fried brains, by all means enjoy some. I'm sure it's good for you, I'm just not hungry for that just now....

So anyways, I've flipped through all of the recipes and marked the ones I want to try. Some of them are a bit adventurous, and some just look plain tasty. Here's what I'm planning on making in the next few weeks:

Yogurt p85
Raw Milk Warmer p88
Basic dressing p129
Peanut sauce, teriyaki sauce, barbeque sauce p147
Roast Chicken p280
Breakfast Sausage p363
Breaded Cauliflower p380
Breakfast porridge p455
Muffins p482

Yummy, eh? I'll be sharing these recipes as I make them, so if you're a fellow Sally Fallon fan, go ahead and subscribe to my blog or find me on facebook so you can read my reviews and tips on these recipes and more in the coming year.

By the way, have you been reading your labels? I'll be sharing our challenge for February on Monday!

This post was shared at Simple Lives Thursday and Fight Back Friday.

P.S. If you order either one of these cookbooks by clicking through the links on this page, Raising Isabella receives a commission. So, if you decide get your own copy to cook through, do me a favor and order through here! Thanks!




2 comments:

  1. Thanks for linking your great post to FAT TUESDAY. This was very interesting! Hope to see you next week!

    Be sure to visit RealFoodForager.com on Sunday for Sunday Snippets – your post from Fat Tuesday may be featured there!
    http://realfoodforager.com/fat-tuesday-january-31-2012/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck *cooking through Nourishing Traditions - I think you should give liver a go - you might find you like it! ;o)

    ReplyDelete