Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Easy (and tasty) sugar free sweet treats

In light of our sugar fast, I thought I'd let you in on what I've been eating instead of my usual sugary treats. I am missing them, I must confess. But, like I said before, nothing tastes as good as being healthy feels!

Let me confess one thing, I haven't mastered the healthy baking thing yet. I've tried to make whole grain and sugar free muffins, breads, and such. Most of the time, I don't love them. Except for my baked oatmeal.

I have figured out how to make some great, quick, snacks though. Most of the ones I'm going to share today are naturally sweet from fruit or have added stevia.

Yesterday, I made my whole grain energy bites, except I replaced the honey with 1/2 a frozen banana and I added some stevia for sweetness. I also replaced the chocolate chips with raisins. YUM! I like these better than the originals!

I've been loving me some coconut lately, too. I take half a banana (I use a frozen one) and roll it in unsweetened coconut flakes. It's delicious, kind of tropicaly ice cream-y.

I've also made a few pina colada type smoothies, blending one can of chilled coconut milk with one can of pineapple chunks. I like to freeze the juice from the pineapple in ice trays and freeze the pineapple chunks before I blend them together.

Let's see...what else? Stevia sweetened herbal tea with milk.                 Photo Credit

Smoothies (1 cup fruit, 1 cup milk kefir or milk). Or try my breakfast milkshake.

I also tried out my breakfast cake/baked oatmeal recipe, only I omitted the honey and used about 3/4 tablespoon of stevia instead. For the oil, I used half melted butter and half extra virgin coconut oil. They were delicious! I didn't add anything to make up for the liquid in the honey, and I actually think the texture was better than with honey.


Frozen fruit straight from the freezer.

Do you have any sweet treat recipes that don't contain any added sugar? I'd love some new ideas!


1 comment:

  1. From Mama V
    Crushed ice with Stevia and lemon juice stirred (more like chopped) in. Great in the summer. I like it with no Stevia, but I don't like sweet drinks anyway.

    Melt unsweetened chocolate, add cream and Stevia. Let cool. Play with the amounts until it's like you like it. I like 2 T chocolate, a dash of Stevia and 2T cream. Has the texture of the inside of a chocolate cream.

    ReplyDelete