Search This Blog

Friday, April 27, 2012

My favorite weed-killer recipe

We have a back patio, and it is nice to sit on it in and enjoy our backyard. We have a nice, big backyard, and it was a mess when we moved in and...to be honest... it's still a mess. However, it's looking much better, and it has chickens and a lovely little veggie garden. A lot of it is still growing a little wild, which has a beauty all its own.

But the patio, it's a pain. it is made up of blocks of concrete that stubborn weeds like to grow in between. Last summer, we gave up and Dennis just mowed it along with the yard. No big deal. Except it drove me crazy!

The only thing that bothered me more than all those weeds was the idea of spraying them down with some chemical I wouldn't want Izzy running around on.

I found this link on pinterest a few weeks ago for a great natural weed killer. I was pretty skeptical, but I already had the ingredients, so I figured I'd give it a try. Worked like a charm, smelled great, and I was able to spray with Izzy by my side.


Before.

24 hours after.

There's a little green left in the photo, but they're all brown and crispy now (it's been a few more days), I promise. It's actually kind of sad; I don't usually post photos of dead plants.

It rained really hard a couple of hours after I sprayed, so I thought I'd have to do a re-do, but it still worked just fine.



All you do is mix 1 gallon of white vinegar with 1-2 ounces of dish soap and spray it right on the plant. I try to saturate it well, so it gets into the soil, too. This supposedly helps prevent regrowth. Something about the acidity and water uptake or photosynthesis or something like that.

I bought one of those weed sprayers at my home improvement store to use b/c I realized my hand would fall off before I sprayed the whole patio the way I was doing it, but you could use a small sprayer for smaller jobs, or just pour straight from the bottle.

Since it's made from vinegar and soap, this would probably make a pretty good cleaner for other things, too. So useful, safe, and effective!

Now, if I could only figure out how to keep my squash plants alive. I'm sure there's a pinterest pin for that, too....

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the very informative post about weed killer. And really good to see home made weed killer which is easy for everyone.

    ReplyDelete