Search This Blog

Monday, April 16, 2012

Sugar fast update and new link-up

We're halfway through our April sugar fast! How's it going?

If it's been rough, just know that it gets easier. It takes a good couple of weeks to get the sugar out of your system and for the cravings to subside.

I have to say, this has been my easiest sugar fast yet (I do them periodically). Partly because I've being doing my homework and I have a lot of really good reasons to avoid the stuff. See this post and this post to read more about why sugar is so bad for us.

Even though I'm 36 weeks pregnant, I can still tell a huge difference in how I feel. I'm hurting a lot less than I was in my pregnancy with Izzy, and I have more energy. My blood sugar is more stable, and I'm tons more productive over the course of my day.

I've been replacing sugar with stevia in my baked goods. It definitely tastes different from sugar, but I like it. I'll be writing more about stevia later this week.

I really am amazed at how good I feel, to the point that I probably won't go out and break my sugar fast as soon as April is over. I'll probably stay off of sugar, for the most part.

Being off of sugar is a lot like my whole experience has been switching to a healthier diet - it's so worth feeling better that I can't imagine any food being worth giving it up.

You know that terrible saying "nothing tastes as good as skinny feels"? I hate that saying, it seems like it feeds an unhealthy attitude towards food and body image.

However, I'm going to say, with 100% certainty:

Nothing tastes as good as healthy feels.


How about you? How are you feeling?


The link-up 

My freezer is ready, I think, for Korban's arrival! I'm sure I could always be more prepared, but  I'm happy with what I have. I have decided to change "Make-ahead Mondays" to "Makin' it Mondays, to broaden the posts that apply. This means that you can post not just any recipe, but any post you like that involves "makin' it"! This could be a recipe, a how to, or just an informative post about healthy living. Or maybe just a little something to make us laugh and get us through our Monday!
 Posting etiquette: If you do link-up, please leave a comment in the comments sections and link back to this page from your original blog post. If you do not have a blog post to share, please share your favorite recipes or links in the comments section!
Don't forget to sign up for email updates, like Raising Isabella on Facebook, or sign up for my RSS feed so you can receive my updates and be reminded to come post each week! 


This post was shared on Making Your Home Sing Monday, Scratch Cookin' Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, Titus 2sday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays, Domestically Divine, Works for Me Wednesday, Women Living Well Wednesdays, Real Food Wednesdays, Homemaking Linkup, Simple Lives Thursday,

5 comments:

  1. Good to hear you've given up sugar- even if temporary!
    I am sharing a recipe for homemade "Jello" which you can use stevia to sweeten. I used a little honey and a little stevia because I am not super fond of stevia, and I feel the mix helps tone down the stevia taste. :)
    http://ournourishingjourney.com/2012/04/16/homemade-jello/
    Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jello sounds great about now! I'll have to give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! I was always so careful with my diet when I was pregnant, I totally cut out caffeine but then after they were born.....well, it snuck back in. But since you're feeling better I imagine you will be more motivated to stick with it. Results are motivation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely! I wasn't careful at all with my diet my first pregnancy, and I can tell a big difference with this one! It's easy to let it sneak back in, though, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post. I've done a sugar fast in the past and felt so much better! I'm a new follower.

    ReplyDelete