Search This Blog

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Boycott non Fair Trade Chocolate!

Ok, just call me another angry person on the internet today, because I'm hoppin' mad.

You see, I read this story a friend posted on Facebook the other day, and it got me to thinking. (Ya gotta hate when that happens.)

You see, most of the chocolate that kids are going to be getting for Halloween is actually a result of forced child labor (See above link for more info. I'm not going to rewrite what she wrote. She said it so well.).

Why is the church not all over this? I have a feeling that if Nestle came out and said they were pro-homosexuality some Christians* would be all over that.

Or, if Hershey's made the statement that they were for "Biblical marriage"** holy rollers would be lining up around the block to support them (like they did for a certain fried chicken joint a few months ago. Do. No. Get. Me. Started.).

So now, when it comes to an industry that has been knows for YEARS to employ unjust labor to provide us with junk food, we are SILENT!

(Flames shooting out of ears.)

I really wonder what God would have to say about that. Oh Wait. He already did -

"Evil men do not understand justice, but those who seek the LORD understand it fully." - Prov. 28:5
"The righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern." - Prov.  29:7
"Learn to do right! Seek justice, encourage the oppressed. Defend the cause of the fatherless, plead the case of the widow." - Isaiah 1:17
There are tons more, but you get the picture.
I will be the first to admit that I don't like to be controversial or come off as judgmental. I don't want to make people feel bad, but that is a fault of mine, because the Bible clearly calls for believers to fight for justice.

I know that I can't abolish slavery by just boycotting chocolate. I know that I do not have a big enough circle of influence to get  the chocolate industry to even notice.  I also know that I have readers who are married to pastors. I know that I have readers who go to seminary and have professors and connections to other pastors. I know that each one of you has some sort of circle of influence you can use to get the word out. Ripple effect, ya know? Maybe someone who reads this today knows a guy who knows a guy who knows a super influential pastor at a megachurch?

What if all of you readers get hopping mad, and you write on your own blogs that you'll be boycotting non Fair Trade chocolate? What if you share it as your Facebook status and tell your Sunday School class and your Mom's group and your neighbors and your coworkers? What if you tell all the moms with kids who come to your house on Halloween night? Yea, people might think you're a little nuts, but we already know what Jesus has to say about being weird for doing the right thing.

I don't have much influence. This little blog has a couple hundred readers maybe, but I can't not use what influence I have to inspire others to be an agent of change.

But what about all of the other industries that employ slave labor?
I know that slavery is everywhere, believe me. I wish I didn't. I'm just thinking here, though, that if we Christians, who proved with "the 'eat more chicken' incident" that there are enough of us out there to be influential, used that power to fight for justice. Add to that number the people who didn't care to take part in that little display, and we could really have an impact, you know? What if we take 'em down one at a time? Chocolate, coffee, sugar....ok, I'm dreaming big here, but I can't help it.

*Please note that I am a Christian, I love the church and Christians, but we have some serious issues to address here. If you are not religious, please, still take this message to heart. I aimed this post at fellow believers because I hold Bible believing Christians to a higher standard since the Bible is so clear on issues of social justice.
**I'm not even going to tell you how I feel about gay marriage because that is not the issue here. Don't get sidetracked from the real issue!


Photo Credit


No comments:

Post a Comment