Search This Blog

Saturday, February 16, 2013

We've got company and we're going on a trip!

I hope you all had a fun valentine's day. My husband surprised me with a sushi lunch, chocolate and flowers!

It's been a busy week, and I totally forgot to post yesterday, but we've got some news, so I want to update you. More about that later.

My parents, sister, and a friend are in town visiting with us this weekend, so we spent the day cleaning house and getting some food ready yesterday. I made this quick baking mix so that we could whip up some quick bisquits and muffins. I really like the convenience of Bisquick, but I'm not a fan of the ingredients, so this is an easy alternative and I can make all of the same recipes I would use commercial baking mix for. It's inexpensive, too! I followed the recipe exactly, and my muffins and biscuits are nice and fluffy. Sorry, no pictures, I'm distracted with my company right now...

Here's the muffin recipe I used. I used butter and fair trade sugar to make this recipe to make it work with our preferences!

Well, now that I think of it, I made one change, because I'm incapable of following a recipe completely and I get distracted cooking with little ones underfoot. I accidentally used bread flour instead of all purpose. They still turned out nice and soft and fluffy. I was a little worried because biscuits and muffins don't need the extra gluten. Then again, most people aren't bread nerds like me and probably don't know the difference anyway....

Now, for the big news:

We're going to Haiti!

Dennis was invited to do a "vision trip" to scope out a possible trip with the church in the future. He decided to invite me, and I thought that was a good idea. :) We'll be visiting orphanages and learning about orphan ministry in Haiti. I haven't traveled overseas since Izzy was born, so I'm very excited, but also nervous about leaving my babies. They'll be staying with Grandma, and it's only a 5 day trip, so I'm sure we'll all be fine. The trip is in April, so we have a few months to prepare ourselves.

I've heard from friends that have traveled to Haiti that it's a life changing trip, and I can't wait to see for myself!


No comments:

Post a Comment