Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Quotes from "Seven" week 3 - clothes

I know that clothes week was last week, but I wanted to share a few quotes with you from the last chapter, because it was so good. I'd like to plagiarize the whole thing, but you'll just have to order the book for yourself to read the rest! (And if you order from the Amazon.com search box on the right side of this page, you'll be supporting our adoption! Hint, hint.)
(Click here to read the entire series on "Seven: an experimental mutiny against excess".
Seven-by-Jen-Hatmaker

Here are a few of my favorites:
"Very few spiritual leaders seem concerned over how much we spend on fashion, or the bondage we are in to public opinion, or how many of our clothes are made by the hands of children and slaves, or how fashion is a trite, insulting topic globally, or how Jesus told us to clothe the naked and quit showing favoritism to the well-heeled and clean the inside rather than spit-polish the outside." - p53 (fyi - these page numbers are for the book study, not the original book)
"Alone, each item (in my closet) is reduced to an easy explanation, a harmless transaction. But all together, we've spent enough to irrevocably change the lives of 100,000 people...This is hard to process, so it helps to imagine standing in front of the families of my Ethiopian children, who were too poor and sick to raise their own babies. As I gaze upon their hopelessness, I imagine them calculating what I've spent on clothing alone, realizing that same amount would have kept their family fed and healthy for 30 years." - p58
"The better question is this: Does God think of our income as a potential source to battle injustice; or is it simply a personal blessing to net us a happy life, a reward for being born in America and not living in a famine" -p59 (emphasis mine)
"Here is my concern: with most of us somewhere in the top 4 percent of earners on earth, we are so far removed from the common human experience, we cannot trust our feelings on this. They will lie to us. Our perspective is tainted with elitism, whether we know it or not." -p62
I'd like to finish with a passage from Isaiah that was the theme passage for this week's reading:
"The Lord has taken his place to contend; he stands to judge peoples. The Lord will enter into judgement with the elders and princes of his people: 'It is you who have devoured the vineyard, the spoil of the poor is in your houses. What do you mean by crushing my people, by grinding the face of the poor?' declares the God of hosts." - Isaiah 3:13-15 (emphasis mine)
Now, can I get an amen? ;)
I'm so thankful to find out that the God I serve does, indeed care about the poor and suffering around the world. I'm also both ashamed and challenged to realize that we, his bride, are doing such a poor job or obeying his commands to do something about it.
What did God give you to battle injustice with? What are you going to do about it?

No comments:

Post a Comment