Search This Blog

Saturday, June 21, 2014

15 minutes on remembering that it gets better

Dennis has been working a camp all week, which means I've been sole caregiver for the kids the past week.

I feel like a black hole of death that got hit by a mac truck.

He's exhausted and I'm exhausted and we each just need some relief. Of course, the kids are all wonky from Dad being gone, so it'll take a few weeks to recover.

Welcome to summer in the life of a youth ministry family.

I have to confess, I already wrote one post, and then I deleted it. None of us need that kind of negativity in our lives.

Instead, I'm going to use my remaining 12 minutes reminding us all that it gets better.

You see, we're going to walk around like bleary eyed zombies for a few more days (tomorrow is Sunday, after all). Then, we'll start to get back into our routine.

We'll both start to remember that we chose this life, and it's a good one. This isn't heaven, and there will always be obstacles to overcome, but we have a generally enviable life. A good marriage, a good church community, and kids that we actually enjoy being around 95% of the time.

I have a good husband. Even though he's dog tired, he offered to take the kids for a while so I could get out of the house. Of course, I'm too brain dead to know what I'm supposed to do once I leave the house sans kids, but it's the thought that counts.

I'm thankful that I actually want to have my husband around. We make a pretty good team, and I can't wait until the kids get old enough that we are all able to participate in ministry.

Do you see what I did there? I started out all whiny and making you feel sorry for me, but now you are probably either jealous of me or see me as a spoiled little baby.

It's all about perspective. You should try it. Take 15 minutes. Spend the first 5 complaining and the next ten being thankful. You'll feel a whole lot better at the end. Promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment