Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The opposite of a low fat dinner (A delicious recipe involving eggs, cheese, heavy cream and lots of buttah!)

Many of you are probably regretting that second, third and fourth helping of pie, dressing or whatever else was on the Thanksgiving table last week. Maybe you're thinking that it's time to cut back a little and lose those few extra pounds you put on.

You can stop reading now and go Google something low fat, 'cause this recipe is no kind of diet food. As I mentioned before, my family is not afraid of a little fat and cholesterol, and I'm convinced that they're not the real culprits behind America's current epidemic of obesity and rise in diabetes and many other illnesses. If you want to read more about that, click here.

Now, on to the cheesy, creamy yumminess we had for dinner. I got this recipe from my Rachel Ray cookbook that I'm cooking through, Express Lane Meals. I lack about 5 recipes from finishing this cookbook, and it's been a lot of fun. This is the one recipe that I've remade a few times, and I think it's becoming a classic at our house. It's not difficult and it can be made quickly with ingredients you probably already have on hand. It is really hands on, though, so once you start, you're committed. There's not really a time you can just walk off and let things simmer.


Canadian Benny's

Here's what you need:
-4 slices bread (I use my homemade sourdough bread)
-8 slices lunch meat, such at ham or turkey (I use Hormel Natural choice, as it has a short, easy to understand ingredient list)
-about 1 cup of cheese
-1 cup of heavy cream
-about 1/2 cup diced tomatoes (canned or chopped and seeded)
-salt and pepper
-4 eggs
-lots of butter
-coconut oil or other oil for frying

Here's what you do:


The Sauce
-melt one tablespoon butter over medium heat in a small pan
-add tomatoes and cook for about 2 minutes
-add the 1 cup cream, salt and pepper to taste
-let cream sauce reduce for 10 minutes, or until desired consistency

The Rest(while your cream sauce is reducing)
-slather up that bread with lots of tasty butter and toast it
-while the bread is toasting, put about 1 Tablespoon of oil in a pan and fry up your slices of lunch meat
DON'T FORGET TO CHECK YOUR TOAST AND YOUR SAUCE!
-fry up your four eggs

Put it all together in this order
1st - 1 piece (slice?) of toast
2nd - 2 slices lunch meat
3rd - 1 egg
4th - 1 small handful of cheese
Finally - 1/4-ish of the sauce

Now, Mrs. Rachel Ray says that this recipe is supposed to feed 4...but Dennis and I polish off the whole thing just the two of us. Then we sit around and talk about how full we are.

I say that, but we just ate this 2 1/2 hours ago and I hear Dennis rumbling around in the kitchen as I type this...

I think I'll go join him.

This post was shared at Monday Mania.






No comments:

Post a Comment